A vast majority of people consider a sleeping couch and a sofa bed the same things. However, when it comes to purchasing furniture for your living space, you will need to know the difference between the two sofas as they both have different features and benefits to offer.
It’s worth noting that modern designs of converter sofas obliterate the distinction and focus on comfort and design while sleeping and sitting both. But basic understanding helps you pick the best piece off the market.
The mattress is the most significant distinction between the two. Sleeper sofa has mattresses concealed within their frames, whereas sofa beds are futons that may be laid flat like a bed. They don’t have a regular mattress.
These differences do not stop here. Continue reading to learn more about the two and their respective advantages.
Sleeper Sofa vs. Sofa Bed – The Bigger Picture
To put an end to this debate once and for all, we bring you a better, clearer picture of both types.
- Quite similar to a futon, a sofa bed is compact in design and can accommodate the need for both the bed and the sofa in the room. However, the sofa bed does not offer the durability of the bed with the absence of proper structure underneath.
- The sleeper sofa is bigger and perfect to provide a cozy place for two people to relax and sleep. With no cushions, a sleeper sofa might not be suited for comfortable sitting on your movie nights, but they are easy to fold and unfold, making them an ideal choice for tiny spaces.
So, which one should you go for? Both with their positive and negative aspects have a lot to offer.
What is a Sofa Bed?
A sofa bed offers cushioning for both sitting and sleeping. Its designs vary in many different aspects, but the main construction consists of a raised mattress platform with enclosed sides. This type of sofa has a folding mechanism to lay the cushion down the floor for sleeping and locking back up for upright sitting. You can get a sectional sofa bed, pull out sofa bed, loveseat sofa bed or a futon sofa bed, depending on your choice.
The Usefulness of Sofa Bed
- Ideal for small rooms: If your living space is limited, but you want a proper sitting and sleeping solution, a sofa bed can be your solution. You can use it as a sofa for guests or in the daytime and as a bed at night.
- Varying Sizes: They usually come in double bed sizes, but that’s not an issue as they can be customized according to household needs.
- No hassle of cleaning: Are you a clean freak? If yes, this one is going to be your best mate. Being lightweight, you can clean a sofa bed easily without much sweat. Not to forget, you can make it a sofa and move it to any room you want.
Pros of a Sofa Bed
The primary benefit of a sofa bed is that it can be customized precisely like a picture in mind. You can have a sofa that will compliment your room décor and needs. Wooden frames, metal frames, padding and design, everything can be customized according to your comfort and liking. The pros you get with a sofa bed include the following:
- Saves Space
- Convenient to change the design
- Affordable rates
- Serves the double functions
- Are easy to clean
Cons of Sofa Bed
The major drawbacks may include:
- Stressful assembling
- Lacks the durability of the traditional beds
- Mattresses wear out quickly
- The thin mattress makes the product life shorter
Defining the Sleeper Sofa
A sleeper sofa is big enough to provide space for two people and an extra wider space for a kid or a pet. This is because the sofa is designed keeping the sleeping purpose in mind. It is ideal for enjoying a good night’s sleep, especially if you plan to reap long-term benefits.
The sleeper sofa bed is designed to duplicate the usual couches, but the folded mattress can be used as a comfortable, spacious bed. It just demands bigger space in its bed position. The sofa can be customized into loveseats for smaller spaces, with twin or queen size beds.
The Usefulness of the Sleeper Sofa
- Gives relaxing experience: The wider space is ideal for a comfortable, relaxing experience. The thickness of the mattress can be adjusted for further convenience and is better than a sofa bed.
- Ideal for couples: A person can enjoy the perks of a sleeper sofa bed, but the bigger size is ideal for accommodating two people leaving extra space as well. That is why a sleeper sofa can be perfect for your occasional guests.
- Linen sizes available: As the sizes are usually queen, you can easily find bed linens from the local markets.
Pros of Sleeper Sofa
They are used occasionally as beds, while the sofa design boosts the room’s aesthetics with the varying styles and patterns. The pros you get with a sleeper sofa bed include the following:
- Comfortable to sit and chill
- Are durable and long-lasting
- Sleeper sofa bed does not demand complicated assembling
- Size, designs, colour available
- It fits in the mattress beautifully
- Matches the traditional couches
- More comfortable than a sofa bed
Cons of Sleeper Sofa
Despite its many benefits, the sleeper sofa has some drawbacks. The biggest is the way it has to be converted into a bed due to its heavyweight. Other cons include:
- Costly than sofa beds
- Heavy to move around
- You can’t sleep on it if someone is already using it as a sofa.
Both sofas have their pros and cons; the final decision depends on your need and budget. The sofa beds make an ideal piece of furniture for small apartments, dorms and are preferred by people with short budgets.
If you have longer-term needs, a sofa bed can be your saviour. It is excellent for guest rooms and larger rooms where you need beds occasionally. If you have your parents or relatives visiting every year, a sleeper sofa is fantastic to give them comfortable nighttime during the stay.